The history of the stone house
The stone house’s original name – David’s Friendship – was built in 1780. The northeast gable is inscribed J.F. 1780.
Brothers Jacob and Henry Funck (sic) came to this area in 1749 to purchase land. Henry’s son, Joseph, received part of his father’s Marsh Head land grant in 1779. Apparently, Joseph built this stone house the following year. A few years later, Joseph traded homes with his brother John, who was a minister at the nearby Marsh Church, so that each brother could be closer to his work. Thus, in 1785 John Funk received a deed to a 145 1/4 acre parcel of land from Joseph Funk. This parcel contained parts of eight different land patents, including Marsh Head and Resurvey on Marsh Head, and the deed included all houses, buildings and improvements. On October 28, 1796, John Funk patented 147 3/8 acres as David’s Friendship, probably the same land he had received from Joseph Funk 11 years earlier.
Potomac Edison purchased this home and its 147 plus acres in 1960. The deed stated that the parcel was part of the land patented as David’s Friendship. For the next quarter century, the land was rented as a farm, with the farm family living in the house. In the late 1980s, a woman from a historical society contacted the company with her concern that the house was deteriorating. Spurred by this visit, the company took a closer look at the property.
Mike Eckard is Director of Customer Affairs and Marketing for Allegheny Power Corporation. He has had a very close relationship with David’s Friendship for many years. Once he learned of the home’s historical significance, it was decided to shore up the building, preserve it and use it. A corporate decision was made not to destroy the house.
Architects came, evaluated the building and found its structural integrity intact. The stone was repointed, the chimney reinforced and the roof was replaced with historically accurate cedar shakes. Shutters were replaced and the porch was restored. The windows were repaired using drawings and old photographs of the building to keep intact its historical look. All work was done under the supervision of an architectural historian. The windows have two-over-two sashes dating from an early renovation of the house and are part of the development of the building over time.
In 2015, David’s Friendship was acquired by the Fulton family of Hagerstown.
Excerpts from The Herald-Mail, May 30, 1999